Request for advice: tools

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Thu Sep 6 18:30:21 UTC 2001

Hello Ben,

BB> Greetings, all.

BB> -A DNS zone file editor. It must be CGI, allow for forward and reverse
BB> entries, and able to handle odd mappings (IE IN MX 32 mail.foo.bar, etc).

search freshmeat.net, there are lots.

BB> -A Cisco config builder. Preferably in CGI, but command line would be
BB> acceptable as well. Basically something that allows me to make changes in
BB> routers and either mirror them on a lot of other routers, as well as
BB> displaying stats and other things in a pointy-haired-boss-friendly manner.

search freshmeat.net for "cisco router" -- RANCID, Pancho, etc. will
come up.

BB> -Any kind of scripts designed with the abuse administrator in mind- IE log
BB> parsers, Code Red automailers/procmail scripts, etc etc.

cat /www/logs/*_log | grep 'default.ida' - | awk '{print $1}' > /root/bad_hosts.txt

from there just do a for loop if you have reverse DNS set in apache
and send to {web,post}master at bad_hosts.txt[$i]

IMHO, it won't accomplish much.

BB> All of these tools would be preferred in a GNU or freeware form, but I am
BB> interested in all valid options.

check out freshmeat.net

Thanks,
 David                            mailto:davidu at everydns.net