ATM failure - No the other kind of ATM

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Thu Sep 6 06:57:09 UTC 2001

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:11:00PM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Since there is very little "unique" network equipment in
> the world now, just about everyone buys equipment from the
> same vendors.  So the question is, Can we learn anything from
> Citibank's experience.  Is there anything about their continuing
> problems which may be used to improve general network reliability?

	I know of at least one major bank that drops the following
to their ATMs:

	- Frame/ATM Frac T1
	- ISDN BRI dial backup
	- 9600 baud X.25 analog dial backup backup

	If all that fails on a wide scale, you have much larger
issues to contend with.

	Note that there are still a few vendors of ATM switching
hardware:

	Lucent/Ascend
	Nortel/Bay
	Cisco/Stratacom
	Alcatel
	Marconi/FORE
	Hitachi
	NEC
	Fujitsu

	And this doesn't include all that legacy hardware out there
already.  *cough cough* Newbridge *cough cough*.

	--msa