Digex and Akamai are raping the ARIN whois database

Avi Freedman freedman at freedman.net
Tue Sep 4 20:31:09 UTC 2001

In article <10184.15415.25258 at avi.netaxs.com> you wrote:

: Nothing like the smell of spam in the morning - coming to you through the
: "benevolent" acts of Akamai and Digex - sent to POC handles blatantly stolen
: from ARIN's whois database.

: Yo, Digex: this just reminds me how much your "sales team" sucked the last
: time around, when there was a DS3 contract up for grabs on an RFP.
: This spam certainly cuts you out of any future consideration for a while:
: You'll find yourself in good company with Savvis, I am sure.

Very sorry this happened.  Marketing purchased a 'trial version' of
a list that apparently had ARIN-gleanings.  Use of that list has been
suspended with all partners, and we are working on ways to make sure that
we can 'pattern match' any such similar crud from future lists.  This is
the first of the lists that has been a problem (though we have in the
past had one or two salespeople who were quickly unconfused on individual
solicitations), and we intend to make sure it won't happen again.

If anyone has any heuristics for ensuring that lists don't have automated
new-domain or SWIP gleanings, I'd appreciate them; for now we'll just
search for hostmaster@, ipspace@, and other role-looking accounts.

Sorry,

Avi (speaking as Chief Network Architect, Akamai)