Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

David Luyer david_luyer at pacific.net.au
Tue Oct 30 10:56:38 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:33:05PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:24:37PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > What exactly does "established business relationship" mean in the
> > context of (for example) the NANOG mailing list? (Note that once there
> > is a business relationship, there's no requirement that the solicitation
> > has to be related - I continually get calls from various financial
> > institutions plugging other services)
>
> Sadly I think we'll always be getting "spammed" by people we do
> business with, and I don't think there's any way to write the rules
> so this doesn't happen.

Some have some comments on this in Australia are at:

  http://www.caube.org.au/australia.htm

Basically the positions from the government and industry bodies over here
have been that commercial e-mail must be opt-in if there is no existing
business relationship, otherwise opt-out.

David.
--
David Luyer                                     Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Network Manager                P A C I F I C    Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693