FBI is at it again

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Tue Oct 30 00:55:30 UTC 2001

Well, writing data at that speed is relatively easy (hint - get a box
which does IP trunk bonding based on SRC/DST hash to step down OC-192 or
whatever to, say, 64x OC-3s - which is within range of commercial RAIDs).

The cost of such solution (including disk storage, about 40 exabytes) will
be about US$200 mil per OC-192 trunk per year.

Now the question is how to extract any useful information out of it.

I guess the only feasible option would be to analyze data in real time,
and record only "interesting" bits.  As a guesstimate, this would require
about 1000 PC boxes per OC-192 trunk.  A specialized hardware
(pattern-recognition chips, etc) could make it a lot easier.

Not cheap, but doable, and it is well within the budget of NSA to sift
through all overseas Internet traffic.

Of course, encrypting data makes all that pretty irrelevant.  That's why
FBI and NSA are so keen to stall public adoption of encryption.  (When
encrypted communications are rare, they can record them and break them at
their leasure; when everybody's using it - they're helpless).

Particle physicists are doing very high volume real-time data analysis
on comparable scale routinely, sifting through trillions of particle
interactions to find dozen or two of interesting ones.

So i wouldn't dismiss their ability to do that kind of surveiliance as a
technical or economical impossibility.  It is certainly doable with todays
technology and a bit of cleverness.

--vadim