RBL & Broadband (WAS: Digital Island sponsors DoS

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Mon Oct 29 20:12:58 UTC 2001

  [thanks for the subject change Patrick]

Actually, it was obvious that you mean residential access.  However,
it appears that you are trying to equivicate "residential" and "cheap."
It ain't necessarily so.

I still say, you get what you pay for.  There are always alternatives,
but most people are unwilling to pay for them.  There is not moral
good/bad value to that point - it simply *is*.

Sometimes the layer 2 choice will limit your choice of layer 3
providers - that is simply part of the price.  This fact will
not change regardless of the number of people with <pick any specific
layer 2 connection>  coming into their house (or business).

Back to the original point: only buy bandwidth from folks that provide
you with the value you seek.  A cheap provider that isn't blocked by
the RBL is perfect if you don't need to talk with folks on networks
that subscribe to the RBL.

You might need to pay more to get to a provider that isn't blocked...

	John