FBI is at it again

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Mon Oct 29 19:51:32 UTC 2001

Daniel,

> Are you kidding? The problems with this are numerous. First, the source is
> Fox News, which is about a half step up from the Drudge Report. Secondly,
> what is the basis for believing that this is even possible? I am unaware of
> any technology that would allow all internet traffic to be proxied through a
> single location.

Unfortunately, just because we know how difficult it is to provide a
solution to this problem, does not mean that everyone subscribes to it. One
should not discount the argument made based purely on the source,
especially since recently a few very "interesting" articles showed up in a
number of publications, including current issue of Forbes. The author, whose
name escapes me at this time, is under the ill-belief that since the
internet traffic does flow though hubs, it would be possible to intercept it
and store it on the computers located in those hubs. It is more likely that
a white paper describing the issues arising from attempts to intercept and
store that much data would do better than an argument about unreliability
of the source.

Alex