Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Oct 29 19:12:02 UTC 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Mike Batchelor wrote:

> Since most of what MAPS is about is reducing complaints from customers to
> their ISP, and thereby reducing support costs, I guess the question is
> answered.  If no one complains, there is no problem.  Since no one can
> complain about unseen messages, that means that collateral damage is not
> really a problem, since it does not increase support costs.

I'm not sure how you've managed to avoid this, but when using the various
blacklists in an ISP setting where I've worked, there certainly has been
"collateral damage" in unseen messages causing increased support load
(cost).  Our customers will call up complaining "My aunt can't email me
anymore, but she can email everyone else in the family." or "Since
sometime last week I can't get email from business associate X, and this
has cost me thousands of dollars per day in sales."

There's always someone to complain.  I think over time, as people have
seen more and more porn site or penis/breast enlargement spams, they've
gotten more understanding of "we can't accept mail from that ISP's mail
server because it's an open relay and was being used to broadcast spam".

 Atlantic Net                |