RBL & Broadband (WAS: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Oct 29 18:45:06 UTC 2001

[Think it's about time for a subject change.]

At 11:23 AM 10/29/2001 -0700, John Osmon wrote:

 >On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:05:00PM -0500, Christopher A. Woodfield wrote:
 >>
 >> [...] the "get another provider if you object"
 >> argument doesn't work nearly as well if there's only one DSL or cable
 >> provider that serves the customer.
 >[...]
 >
 >Not to sound too trite, but in general you *do* get what you pay for.
 >No one said that your choice of providers would all have equal costs.
 >
 >If you are in a place where DSL works, you can most likely get a T1
 >to any provder you wish.  Pick one that doesn't get placed on the
 >RBL.

Personally, I agree with Christopher.  Unfortunately, I do not see a way
around it.  If you do not filter spamers, how do you stop them?  If you do
filter spamers, how to do stop from occasionally hurting people in
Christopher's situation?  I dunno.  Suggestions?

Just to be clear, I would not, do not, and cannot tell another network how
to filter their e-mail, traffic, prefixes, etc.  I have no right to do
so.  (But I certainly will make fun of some of them for the way they filter
- which is a right I have. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick