Peering BOF IV Meeting Notes

William B. Norton wbn at equinix.com
Mon Oct 29 18:03:33 UTC 2001

Hi all -

Here are my notes from the Peering BOF IV - NANOG 23
( http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0110/norton.html )

We started at 7:30 PM Monday evening with the intention of pulling the
peering community together through introductions. We had about 20 Peering
Coordinators step up to the mike, introduce themselves, say a word or two
about their network, peering policy and what they are looking for in a peer
network. This allowed the audience to put a face to a name for
conversations afterwards. Another 10 that didn't pre-register for this
stepped up and chimed in as well. From about 8:30 til almost 10PM the
community stuck around to talk and I'm told that *dozens* of peering
sessions (Yahoo!, Akamai, Carrier1, SBC, etc.) will be set up as a result.
Highly successful NANOG for this segment of the population.

Several folks asked for a list of those who stood up to talk about their
peering policy, and here is what I have:

BBC Internet		Simon Lockhart	simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Digital Island		Mitchell Rose	mrose at digisle.net
DoubleClick		Alex Ng		ngluck at bb.directv.com
TELUS		Clinton Work	Clinton.Work at telus.com
France Telecom/Open Transit	Vincent Gillet	vgi at utopia.opentransit.net
Globix		Steven J. Schecter	sjs at globix.net
WINFirst		Hansel Lee	Hansel.Lee at corp.winfirst.com
4CNet			Brian Court	bac at csu.net
Akamai		Rachel Warren rachel at plur.net / Patrick Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Hostcentric		Charlene Wang 	Charlene.Wang at hostcentric.com
Japan Telecom	Seiji Kuroda	kuroda at gw.odn.ad.jp
Adelphia		Joe Klein	jtk at adelphiacom.net
Earthlink		Jeb Linton/Josh Fleishman
Yahoo!		Jeffrey Papen	jpapen at yahoo-inc.com
SBC			Ren Nowlin	ln1875 at sbc.com
Carrier1		Eric Troyer	eric.troyer at carrier1.com
ESNet		Joe Metzger	metzger at es.net
Velocita		Brian Dickson	brian.dickson at velocita.com

I want to thank these folks for volunteering to share their info and
hopefully this led to some sessions coming up.  <a bunch of folks came up
to the mike but I don't remember the names except for Paul Vixie.  I
remember there were people in this group that included e-bay, Microsoft,
Comcast.>

Speaking of which, if Peering Coordinators would like to participate in the
Peering Contact Database and receive a copy once a month or so of the
Peering Contact Database, send e-mail to wbn at wbnorton.org and I'll return
the template to fill out. So far we have about 150 Peering Coordinators
listed.

Several suggestions were made for the next time:
- Include a "Peering Contracts Required" icon and
- "Make it easy for folks to step up later along with Icons" and
- "Include e-mail addresses"

We're going to try and factor in these suggestions for the Peering
Personals at the next Gigabit Peering Forum which is held Dec 3rd in San
Jose. If you are a Peering Coordinator and would like an invite to this let
me know.

For those who could not attend due to travel restrictions or whatever I'd
be happy to e-mail the slides with the peering icons and ISP names etc.

Hope this helped -

Bill