Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

Adam McKenna adam-nanog at flounder.net
Mon Oct 29 05:53:24 UTC 2001

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 09:26:39PM -0800, JC Dill wrote:
> >Since most of what MAPS is about is reducing complaints from customers to
> >their ISP, and thereby reducing support costs, I guess the question is
> >answered.  If no one complains, there is no problem.  Since no one can
> >complain about unseen messages, that means that collateral damage is not
> >really a problem, since it does not increase support costs.
>
> Hi, Bob?  This is Susan.  I haven't received a reply from you regarding the
> email I sent yesterday, did you get it?  You didn't?  Hmmm.  Let me try
> resending it.
>
> Hi Bob?  This is Susan again.  Did you get that second email
> yet?  No?!  Maybe you should call your ISP to find out why!  Yes,  I
> already called mine, they don't have any info, they say the mail server
> logs show that both the messages were delivered to your ISP.
>
> Hi, Mr. ISP support guy?  This is Bob.  It seems that I'm not getting all
> of my email....

You're assuming that the filterer is silently discarding the message and not
bouncing it.  If a site is blocked from sending mail via MAPS or any other
method, the receiver must send a bounce message to the sender to avoid
breaking SMTP.

Assuming the filterer is not breaking SMTP by silently discarding messages,
Bob will receive a message saying that his message couldn't be delivered,
with an explanation.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna <adam at flounder.net>   | GPG: 17A4 11F7 5E7E C2E7 08AA