Thursday Hawaii telephone mishap

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Sun Oct 28 17:42:51 UTC 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Steve Goldstein wrote:

> FYI, at about the time of the break, I was engaged in a Web-based
> meeting that included the Maui Supercomputer Center.  We were using a
> phone bridge in San Jose, CA.  The phone conversation persisted, but
> Maui's Internet connection dropped.

I do believe that if STP/SS7(?) trunks are dropped, calls in progress are
not interrupted.  Just my observation from when we did a number change and
all that SS7 magic made our numbers move to a new provider.  The cut was
made, but all existing calls on our old dial equipment chugged merrily
along...

Charles