FORGED EMAIL POSTED TO NANOG

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Sat Oct 27 19:42:18 UTC 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Reid B. Fishler wrote:

> 1010WINS is a CBS owned station, and as you can see this email came
> from cbsig.net, which is NOT me.

no, it's the CBS Internet Group, according to Whois at Network Solutions.

> Can the mailing list program be
> fooled by sending mail from a web program like this? Perhaps this
> should be looked at. Anyhow, I just wanted to mention I did NOT send
> this email.

The mailing list could be fooled quite easily, most likely, especially if
it doesn't verify that the addresses given to it are given by the people
who own them.

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO - sjsobol at JustThe.net

In another world it may be true that "Information wants to be free."
Directory Assistance, or lack thereof, is a profit center here and now.
   - John Myers, speaking in comp.dcom.telecom