Thursday Hawaii telephone mishap

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Sat Oct 27 18:37:05 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Walden" <andy at tigerteam.net>
To: "Sean Donelan" <sean at donelan.com>
Cc: <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: Thursday Hawaii telephone mishap

>>Widespread chaos ensued:

"The Maui Visitors Bureau Visitor Information Center  the agency's
tourist
call center on Moloka'i  was crippled for 27 minutes."  :) <<

I -wish- that was the extent of the cut.<smile>

For 6 hours, I was unable to reach any exchange in the state or the
mainland with my Verizon landline.  My Sprint PCS phone could reach Oahu
and the mainland, but all Verizon's Maui numbers resulted in fast busy.
With PCS I could get messages to Nextel customers here on Maui, but they
couldn't retrieve them.

Can someone venture a guess as to what would cause Verizon's Maui
intra-island system to collapse from a fiber cut 100 miles away on
another Island?
Oh btw, I wasn't using it during the entire outage, but my ADSL line
worked fine for the 3 hours that I did use it.

--Michael