Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Fri Oct 26 08:12:00 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:45:11AM -0700, James Thomason stated:
[snip]
> (We are of course, ignoring the fact that this is an "attack" not a
> "request" or a "probe", or some other form of well intentioned traffic.)

the intention of the sender is immaterial. If intentions mattered, every
clueless marketing exec that spammed a couple hundred thousand people would
be instantly forgiven because he/she was "just trying to do business."

Intentions matter not at all. Only results of said traffic, the consequences
of which are borne entirely by the receiver. If the receiver doesn't want it,
the receiver should not have to receive it. Unless you're willing to come out
and state that being connected to the Internet is a de facto agreement to
receive anything and everything somebody wishes to send you (ghosts of open
relay arguments, anybody?)

--
Scott Francis                   darkuncle@ [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
Systems/Network Manager          sfrancis@ [work:]         t o n o s . c o m