Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

Alan Hannan alan at routingloop.com
Fri Oct 26 01:24:11 UTC 2001

  I don't know anything about what digital island is doing in
  particular, but for a long time people have struggled with the issue
  of how to offer better quality connectivity to sites off of their
  network.

  The communal nature of the Internet in times gone by provided
  altruistic desires (usually) to provide good connectivity, but as
  the quality becomes directly tied to cost, it is likely to suffer.

  I suspect that DI, like many other companies, is actively monitoring
  external sites to track, study, and hopefully improve connectivity
  quality to them.

  -alan

Thus spake Christopher J. Wolff (chris at bblabs.com)
 on or about Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:58:22PM -0700:

> Hello friends,
>
> My IDS was just tripped over 300 times.  The decoded packet says:
>
> mailto:abuse at digisle.com for questions
> This ICMP ECHO REQUEST/REPLY is part of the real-time network monitoring
> performed by Digital Island Inc.  It is not an attack.  If you have
> questions please contact
[removed]