BGP advice: Customer converting from static ISP connection to BGP

Jason Legate jlegate at evine.com
Thu Oct 25 23:23:28 UTC 2001

He said that the customer would be announcing a more specific from the ISP's
larger prefix.  There should be no blackhole period, regardless, since the less
specific announcement would be used if the more specific isn't there yet.

Unless if I misread the OP's question?

-j

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:21:48PM -0400, Christopher A. Woodfield wrote:
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:21:48 -0400
> To: CONWAY at pjm.com
> Cc: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: BGP advice: Customer converting from static ISP connection to BGP
> From: "Christopher A. Woodfield" <rekoil at semihuman.com>
>

> There really won't be a "blackhole" period if you do it right - if it's
> the same network that's currently being statically routed, the easy thing
> to do is to keep that static route until the BGP connection is up. There
> shouldn't be any routing interruption during the time that both are active
> - there will just be two announcements with different origin ASes.
>
> The hard part is ensuring that the BGP prefix has propagated to the
> internet as a whole before you pull the static route and as a result the
> ISP-sourced prefix - the best thing to do is to check looking glasses
> (make sure you check several - some networks will not forward the "new"
> route if the old one has a better metric) to ensure propagation of the new
> route before you pull the static route.
>
> BGP routes typically take a few minutes to propagate globally, but this is
> a case where as long as the previous origin AS - the ISP - properly
> forwards traffic to the destination after the static route is pulled
> (which it should, if the new BGP peering is active), there shouldn't be
> any problems; at worst there will be some odd traceroutes for a few
> minutes.
>
> -Chris
>
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 04:38:48PM -0400, CONWAY at pjm.com wrote:
> >

> > I'm looking for some independent confirmation from someone experienced in
> > converting from a static routed ISP connection with the customer's netblock
> > announced under the ISP's ASN to a BGP config where the customer has their own
> > ASN and netblock.  We're the customer, and we're getting conflicting info on
> > what to expect during the conversion.
> >
> > Specifically, we're hearing conflicting things about how long it will take for
> > the "world" to recognize our routes, whether or not there may be areas of the
> > net "blackholed" from us for a while until things stabilize, etc.
> >
> > I realize this is probably off-topic for this list, so please direct any replies
> > directly to me.  If there is interest, I'm willing to summarize to the list.
> >
> > Chuck Conway
> > conway at pjm.com
>
> --
> Christopher A. Woodfield		rekoil at semihuman.com
>
> PGP Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB887618B
---end quoted text---

--
Jason Legate
Sr. Net/Sys Admin, eVine, Inc.
work- jlegate at evine.com | home- jlegate at alienchick.com
Key Fingerprint: 4FB4 2228 DE63 3BBA 7B72  40DD 13D5 2547 821D 2909