BGP advice: Customer converting from static ISP connection to BGP

CONWAY at pjm.com CONWAY at pjm.com
Thu Oct 25 20:38:48 UTC 2001

I'm looking for some independent confirmation from someone experienced in
converting from a static routed ISP connection with the customer's netblock
announced under the ISP's ASN to a BGP config where the customer has their own
ASN and netblock.  We're the customer, and we're getting conflicting info on
what to expect during the conversion.

Specifically, we're hearing conflicting things about how long it will take for
the "world" to recognize our routes, whether or not there may be areas of the
net "blackholed" from us for a while until things stabilize, etc.

I realize this is probably off-topic for this list, so please direct any replies
directly to me.  If there is interest, I'm willing to summarize to the list.

Chuck Conway
conway at pjm.com