NetSol's PGP auth ... and the road not taken

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Mon Oct 22 22:38:35 UTC 2001

On 10/22/01, Joe Rhett <jrhett at isite.net> wrote:

> > i've been trying to add a pgp key to the verisign/netsol database for the
> > past two weeks. i've sent four messages, opened three web help requests,
> > and spent three hours on the phone with their helpdesk. they know less
> > than their customers about their own procedures and web documentation for
> > adding keys for PGP guardian auth.
>
> Don't waste your time. We had PGP auth working for the last 6 years. It
> will slow down any change you want to make by 3-5 days. Around 30% will get
> rejected for no reason whatsoever, and much more fun stuff.

	I've had PGP AUTH broken for the last 6 years, and had the same
	kind of experience.  I just finished an ENTIRE MONTH of calling
	a couple of times a week to get a simple host record fixed.  In
	one call, somebody changed me from PGP AUTH to MAIL-FROM without
	effectively confirming that I was really me.

	VeriSign needs to cut their losses and start over.

--
J.D. Falk                                 "you can bomb the world to pieces,
<jdfalk at cybernothing.org>                  but you can't bomb it into peace"