Thoughts on BGP and Shared Hosting Environments

Daniel Golding dgolding at sockeye.com
Fri Oct 19 22:43:53 UTC 2001

I'm guessing that the problem wasn't users getting to the sites. It was the
data getting back...

Normally, when folks advertise space less then RIR guidelines, the also
advertise the larger aggregate, to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't
happen due to filtering. Try advertising the /21s out each link, then the
aggregate out both links. As well. You should have most traffic going to the
more specifics, with some traffic, from route filteded networks using the
aggregates. The latter traffic will route via the more specifics, when it
reaches a network that knows them. In the worst case, this is slightly
suboptimal routing for those from route-filtering networks.

- Daniel Golding