12000 ACL issue

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Oct 19 15:16:48 UTC 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> Cisco has clearly not gotten the message, so for all those Cisco
> people reading this I will restate it clearly:
>
> _ALL_ interfaces must support basic ACL's or we're not going to
> buy them from you.  There is no such thing as an interface that
> doesn't need ACL's, no matter how much you rationalize it.  A number
> of us are already speaking out on this issue with our $$$ taking
> it to vendors who understand this.
>
> You don't need 50,000 line ACL's, 37 kinds of QOS, or all that
> other crap on every card, but the ability to do a 10 line filter
> is a critical feature, and not having it is like not having a
> routing engine, it makes the box useless.

I have gotten the impression that GigE has very low priority at cisco. I
loathe the 3GE card, it doesn't do the above either. We were going to try
to trade them in for 1GE cards just because of the above (and the pitiful
MTU size it supports), but now it seems that feature is going away on 1GE
also.

I guess I cannot use the GSR as a serious GigE platform, and now seeing
the NTE prices on 10GE for the GSR and the timeframe it's going to be
available, the GSR is not a viable 10GE platform either.

I guess I'll get stuck with the GSRs for only border routers, for POS and
SRP/DPT only, with a few GigE:s to the core which will consist of routers
from other vendor(s). Quite pricy border routers if I may say so.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se