12000 ACL issue

James A. T. Rice <[email protected]> james_r-nanog at jump.org.uk
Fri Oct 19 08:55:39 UTC 2001

Does anyone else here use ACL's on subinterfaces of single GigE linecards
on GSRs? As of 12.0(16S), the ability to type 'ip access-group' while in
the subinterface configuration was removed, leaving me stuck on
12.0(15S3).

Cisco seem to be under the impression that BBC are the only customer who
used this feature, if anyone else ACL's on GigE subinterfaces, please get
in touch so we can correct them.

Apparently the feature was never supported as it was never documented. To
me, hitting '?' in the config and seeing the option there, counts as
documentation. I guess we should all throughly check the IOS command
reference guides before we use any commands on ciscos, in case theyre
unsupported. I wonder what they'll remove next, I've not yet checked to
see if "ip routing" is a supported command!

The other excuse for removing it was because 'it wasnt line rate'. This
doesnt bother me - I'd never expected the GigE cards to be line rate
anyway. Theyre now suggesting buy 35xxT switches and use them for layer 3
filtering. Below is the email, names removed to protect the guilty.

James A. T. Rice             | Email: jamesr at rd.bbc.co.uk
Internet Operations Engineer | Phone: +44 1737 839 737
BBC Internet Services, Kingswood Warren, Tadworth, Surrey, UK.