Communities

Jeffrey Haas jhaas at nexthop.com
Thu Oct 18 16:39:25 UTC 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 01:00:45PM -0400, alex at yuriev.com wrote:
> > > On a side note, A's possibilities of influencing inbound routing
> > > decisions - given that B acts on communities set by A, like `Prepend own
> > > ASN a few times before sending over just this link' or `Don't announce
> > > to D at all' - are already technically possible.  Frankly, if I were B
> >
> > Correct.  And a few upstreams allow this.
>
> It is very simple to do. Create a set of 'advertise-me' communities and
> 'pad-me' communities.

Although it did a few other things as well, an attempt at standardizing
parts of this failed:

draft-bonaventure-bgp-redistribution-01

This draft included:
IDRP style DIST_LIST_INCL, DIST_LIST_EXCL
Proxied NO_EXPORT
Proxied Prepending

The IDRP-style DIST_LISTs seem to generate most of the heat.  We never
got a firm feel for why the other two componenents were disliked.

Geoff Huston proposed draft-huston-nopeer-00.txt to attempt to address
some of the route propagation issues that the DIST_LISTs were intended
to address.

--
Jeff Haas
NextHop Technologies