Changed Cisco Memory Policy??

Ron Buchalski rbuchals at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 12 14:16:09 UTC 2001

Bradly,

Was the email sent to you from Cisco, or a Cisco distributor?

The disclaimer about non-Cisco memory is still intact:

If you call Cisco TAC and ask for the Approved Vendor List (AVL) for a
particular product, the TAC engineer will provide you with part numbers and
vendor info that's pulled from the same list that Cisco uses internally when
purchasing memory.  The list is updated regularly, so a particular memory
product and/or vendor that was approved in January may no longer be on the
approved list today.
Memory product vendors change their products over time, so a memory product
may become 'disqualified' on Cisco's list simply because it's no longer
available (to Cisco) from the vendor, although it may be available from one
of the manufacturer's distributors, until they clear out old stock.  In most
cases, the vendor has replaced it with an updated product, and the updated
product will eventually be tested by Cisco and added to the AVL.

In other cases, Cisco may have uncovered a problem with a particular
vendor's memory product, so the product becomes disqualified.  In these
cases, if the problem is critical, Cisco would probably recall the memory
(RMA).

So, unless Cisco is concerned about having 'stale AVL information' remaining
in a customer's hands, I can't see any reason why this process would stop.

-rb