PATRIOT/USA technical problems, call to action

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Wed Oct 10 19:30:43 UTC 2001

If you live or work in their state, especially call:

Daschle, Tom
Feingold, Russ

Graham, Bob
Hatch, Orrin G.
Leahy, Patrick J.
Lott, Trent
Sarbanes, Paul S.
Shelby, Richard C.

--

According to http://www.senate.gov/~leahy/press/200110/100401a.html,

  "Administration initially proposed expansion of pen register and trap
  and trace authority to capture undefined "routing" and "addressing"
  information of Internet users. "

I have received private confirmation that during negotiations,

  "... the Republicans and the Administration would not accept the
  definitions and prefer to leave it undefined. "

Apparently, the Administration wants the capability to track every
Internet user simultaneously, just like they want to track every cell
phone user.  They want the ISPs to record all addresses assigned, all
email transmitted, all web sites accessed, and all routing changes, so
that they can access the information without going to the trouble of a
warrant.

Believe me, I've been explaining for days that URLs and email addresses
are content, and routing changes are carried by ISPs not suspects, but
I've only convinced some of my representatives.  Instead, others
believe that we need to track every public library terminal, etc, that
a suspect _might_ use, everywhere in the US.

According to former FBI agent nee Congressman Mike Rogers, "It will only
give them addresses and other basic information....  these terrorists
have multiple ways of communicating.  They can communicate through the
Internet, they can use 15 cell phones and rotate them to avoid
detection.  (The act) would allow us to keep pace with that....  it
allows you rather than targeting a phone, to target an individual and
their electronic communications. "

--
William Allen Simpson