BGP noise tonight? (fwd)

Christopher A. Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Tue Oct 9 18:34:22 UTC 2001

Exactly - if the RFC is updated, there's no ambiguity re: how to design
new BGP software.

At this point, the RFC says to do what was at one time considered to be
the right thing, which was demonstrated most recently on Sunday night to
be exactly the wrong thing. Thus, the RFC should be updated to account
for what has been determined the "new" right way of handling malformed
prefixes. As a precedent, refer to the change in attitudes in the RFCs
towards open SMTP relaying - five years ago it was SOP, today it'll get
you blackholed.

-Chris

--
Christopher A. Woodfield		rekoil at semihuman.com