dns based loadbalancing/failover

Adam McKenna adam-nanog at flounder.net
Mon Oct 8 06:23:11 UTC 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 10:39:40PM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > You've conveniently failed to address the issue where the list moderator
> > of namedroppers took it upon himself to edit the content of posts before
> > forwarding them to the list.
>
> I'm ignoring that claim, yes.  I'm not sure how "convenient" it is for me.

In your first post to NANOG on this issue, you stated that the namedroppers
list was "to debate the fine points of DNS".  From what I've read at
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/namedroppers.html, this does not appear to be the
case.

> > ...  The messages that were sent clearly fell within the list's charter,
> > yet they were rejected and/or edited by the moderator for what appear to
> > be entirely personal reasons.
>
> Randy can be hard to take sometimes (unlike, say, me) but I completely trust
> his judgement as to what is, and is not, topical for the namedroppers@ list.

I suppose it's easy to feel that way when you're not the one being censored.

> Remember, if you wanted to start a nam3dr0pp3rs@ list someplace else and post
> introductions to it on ietf@ and namedroppers@, noone could stop you.

That's incorrect.  The moderator could stop me.  Also, it wouldn't matter if
I made my own list, because any list I created would not be the official list
of the DNSEXT working group.

> So if
> you or anyone else is thinking of claiming to be experiencing censorship, I
> hope you've got evidence of prior restraint to back that claim up.  Your iron,
> your lists, your rules.  Go for it.  Best of luck, and all that.

I was merely pointing out that the namedroppers list is not exactly the open
forum that you purported it to be.  I posted a link to a web page (above) in
support of this claim.  You have not yet refuted anything that is published
on that page.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna <adam at flounder.net>   | GPG: 17A4 11F7 5E7E C2E7 08AA