dns based loadbalancing/failover

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Oct 8 04:59:56 UTC 2001

> Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 21:14:47 -0700
> From: Adam McKenna <adam-nanog at flounder.net>
>
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 12:34:45PM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
> >
> > > Most mailing lists I am on seem to get by fine without overt
> > > moderation - including this one.

[...snip...]

> You've conveniently failed to address the issue where the list
> moderator of namedroppers took it upon himself to edit the
> content of posts before forwarding them to the list.

You know, as the former editor/moderator of the Info-IBMPC Digest list
for a fair number of years, and not having subscribed to the
namedroppers list, I frequently edited the content of postings (if only
to make them more readable and/or to tone down rantings), rejected
others (sometimes with an explanation of how to make it more suitable
for publication, sometimes without one.  Usually with an explanation
though...)

Sometimes I ran the changes by the submitter, sometimes not...
Depended on how much 'editing' I had to do.

> > > Prefiltering to suit *any* one individuals opinion of what
> > > is or isn't on topic seems highly suspect for any list, and
> > > unacceptable on a list supposedly to define policy.
> >
> > so in order for a policy-defining forum to be considered
> > representative, it must be open to all posts on all topics
> > from all parties at all times?  that does not match not my
> > intuition on the matter.
>
> This is a straw man.  The messages that were sent clearly fell
> within the list's charter, yet they were rejected and/or edited
> by the moderator for what appear to be entirely personal reasons.

The moderator (editor, in my case) really has the final call on what
gets posted and what doesn't...  Sorry, but them's the rules.

In any case, this is straying a bit afield of the charter for nanog...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com