BGP noise tonight?

Joel Baker lucifer at lightbearer.com
Mon Oct 8 03:04:32 UTC 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 10:36:49PM -0400, cowie at renesys.com wrote:

> Say, our alarms went off tonight when we saw a roughly tenfold spike in
> BGP prefix announcement and withdrawal rates at RIPE's rrc00 and rrc03
> collection points in Amsterdam.  The trouble started around 20:00 GMT,
> hit its peak by about 21:00 GMT, and has trailed off slowly since then.
>
> Looking at the worst-behaved prefixes and AS paths led me to put in
> a call to the tech support center of an unnamed Major Provider, who
> confirmed that there had been a major BGP event but would provide
> no specifics.
>
> So, what's going on out there in the NOCs tonight?  Inquiring minds
> want to know. --jim

Another poison route taking down sessions to RFC-compliant routers, it
looks like. At least, we reset sessions on all of our routers that reset
last time due to this issue, and not a flinch on $VENDOR's routers that
are known to disobey the RFC.

All of our (Tier 1, for whatever value you see it) upstreams saw it
throughout their networks; this would explain the exceedingly high BGP
levels, even discounting the "fragile" edge.