BGP noise tonight?

cowie at renesys.com cowie at renesys.com
Mon Oct 8 02:36:49 UTC 2001

Say, our alarms went off tonight when we saw a roughly tenfold spike in
BGP prefix announcement and withdrawal rates at RIPE's rrc00 and rrc03
collection points in Amsterdam.  The trouble started around 20:00 GMT,
hit its peak by about 21:00 GMT, and has trailed off slowly since then.

Looking at the worst-behaved prefixes and AS paths led me to put in
a call to the tech support center of an unnamed Major Provider, who
confirmed that there had been a major BGP event but would provide
no specifics.

So, what's going on out there in the NOCs tonight?  Inquiring minds
want to know. --jim