dns based loadbalancing/failover

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Oct 7 00:06:30 UTC 2001

Paul Vixie <vixie at vix.com> writes:

> > Hrmm, no, that is called "Akamai", isn't it?  :-)
>
> I wouldn't presume to speak about Akamai's methods.  Perhaps Avi's listening.

It's reasonable to assume that Akamai is deterministic, and is not
dependent on the "Jeopardy Method" (who's-quicker-on-the-buzzer) that
Bert Hubert asked in an earlier message.  Stating more than that is
above my pay grade.

If you insist on deploying the Jeopardy Method, please remember to
phrase your reply to a DNS query in the form of a question:

rs at bifrost [2] % dig @192.148.252.10 19.252.148.192.in-addr.arpa. any
;; ANSWER SECTION:
19.252.148.192.in-addr.arpa.  5M IN PTR  what.is.dhcp-19.seastrom.com.

                                        ---Rob