dns based loadbalancing/failover

Mary Grace nanog at diskserv.com
Sat Oct 6 23:48:05 UTC 2001

>> Hrmm, no, that is called "Akamai", isn't it?  :-)
>
>I wouldn't presume to speak about Akamai's methods.  Perhaps Avi's listening.

That's OK, he is one of the champions who is trying to fix the problems the
MIT guys created.

>> ... still collecting Heirloom-Quality Specimens of Pre-Owned Mirror-Image
>> Cache Routers for our Museum of Internet Treasures,  drop us a line if you
>> still have any available....
>
>How many have you located so far?

If you are saying that you would like to contribute a specimen, especially
a particularly collectible early 1997 version with BSDlite 4.4 source prior
to the fixes for transparency of ecommerce traffic, please write me as
mary at ms.edu and our non-profit will be glad to respond!

We even have an original mid-70s Imsai/Altair 8800, as well as a PDP8a with
paper punch tape circa 1967, and even one of the first personal computers,
a circa 1970 TI with 16 mini toggle switches for clocking in programs and a
whopping 500bytes of memory.  In addition to the standard pre-LED grain of
wheat bulbs output panel, it had an option for a Hollerith card reader
input.  Not many people then who had any preference at all about getting a
life were punching out decks of cards for personal use.  Good old Dancing
Man Jim Treybig gave us a circa 1984 Tandem NonStop, to go with our "Joe
Boyd" Harris 1000 with VOS from the same failed Tandem satellite program
"Infosat" that Tandem and Harris partnered on in 1985 in Santa Clara.

Your cache router was one of the first in its field, too.  The history of
the internet is indeed richer fot it.