dns based loadbalancing/failover

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sat Oct 6 18:22:34 UTC 2001

> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:17:39 +0200
> From: bert hubert <ahu at ds9a.nl>

(top-posting due to length of original post)

Alas, the "after your TTL expires" is a killer.  I don't want to
resurrect a thread that has been covered in the past couple of
months, but DNS just doesn't cut it for failover.  Furthermore,
fast DNS response != fast HTTP response.

{Swamp space|non-Verio filtering policies} and BGP are the way to
approach this.  For redundant DNS at a single site, IP and MAC
takeover are what one wants.

All IMHO.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence