staffing guidelines

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Thu Oct 4 21:04:10 UTC 2001

> From: Irwin Lazar <ILazar at tbg.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:26:47 -0600
>
> Is anyone aware of guidelines for IT staffing that are freely available on
> the web?  In particular, I'm looking for guidelines as to the number of
> staff required to support "N" amount of routers, servers, users, etc.  Any
> links are appreciated.

I have not seen any 'guidelines', but I have always figured (roughly)
on 100-150x/IT staffer...  (100-150 users/routers/machines/whatever...)
Much more than that and people start getting overworked...

For a time, I was responsible for 400+ users and 800+ machines and was
a bit over-worked...  I 'negotiated' for ("I either get some help, or
I'm looking for a different employer.") and got two assistants to
assist with the workload...

The staffing level really depends on the level of support
desired/agreed upon, users expectations, machine types, et al...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

You know you have achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing
more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away.