staffing guidelines

Dave O'Shea doshea at telentente.com
Thu Oct 4 20:23:49 UTC 2001

I'm sure it varies greatly based on the type of work that's being done,
but my experience with another company led me to think that one set of
eyes could handle up to about 200-300 devices, purely for monitoring and
outage management. Configuration and support was another matter. (When I
say devices I mean routers, servers, and manageable switches)

To get at a 24x7 figure, I generally multiplied by about 4 or 5 (taking
into account shifts, vacations, weekends, etc.) So, for about, say,
1,000 manageable devices, I would expect to need about 16-20 people. The
curve improves significantly as you grow and get to use more
sophisticated problem isolation methods and tools.