No more MMDS fixed wireless networks?

Bora Akyol akyol at akyol.org
Thu Oct 4 04:58:30 UTC 2001

If they actually did this, it is about time they finally woke up and
smelled the coffee.

There is pretty much no way any wireless (or free space optical)
technology is going to compete with wireline (including FTH) in an area
where there is abundant infrastructure. The capacity in  fixed wireless
technologies even with the latest advances in technology including MIMO
antenna arrays, CDMA etc is just not there. When you start talking
mobile wireless data delivery, the price/performance ratio changes
making wireless delivery of information profitable provided that you
don't pay XXX billion dollars for bandwidth. Another alternative is
using fixed wireless in areas without infrastructure including
continents other than North America.

I once participated in a similar analysis for another broadband fixed
wireless delivery network and the capacity to support enough subscribers
such that the scheme broke even was simply unsupportable in the spectrum
that was allocated for the system given the power and antenna size
restrictions.

Bora Akyol