Verio Peering Question

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Oct 3 20:24:51 UTC 2001

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Sean M. Doran wrote:

> | Multihoming costs a lot of money

> I have had a couple friends -- gamers, rather than network techs --
> ask me how they could take advantage of their various household
> broadband connections (cable, DSL and ethernet-from-bredbandsbolaget.se)
> to increase their download speeds, handle upstream outages, and
> improve RTTs to selected targets.

This is exactly why I assumed a billion multihomers on multi6. But this
has very little to do with the growth of the global routing table in IPv4,
since there is no way current protocols can accomodate these numbers of
multihomers.

> Is my estimation that for at least some
> broadband providers, per-household/per-customer BGP is a operational
> expense rather than one requring the capital purchase of new equipment,
> completely out-to-lunch (in advance of an interesting new product
> launch in the next few days)?

If you want to, you can certainly talk BGP to customers like this. I'm not
sure how many BGP sessions one router can accomodate, but it's probably
hundreds. Of course flapping will be a problem and nobody in their right
mind is going to accept those announcements.

If there is a market for home multihoming (mh²) then I'm sure someone will
create a service where you can get a fixed IP address and easily create
tunnels. If the tunnel endpoints are at the closest regional exchange
point, the RTTs should be pretty good.