sub-basement multihoming (Re: Verio Peering Question)

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed Oct 3 15:03:15 UTC 2001

> Date: Wed,  3 Oct 2001 07:45:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sean M. Doran <smd at clock.org>

> | The "BGP uninformed" ask, "Why can't traffic just choose one of
> | two paths?
>
> The "BGP informed" ask that too.  However, they know the technology
> isn't quite up to this worthy trick:

Which is the point that I thought I made.  Thanks for clarifying.

> | magic behind the scenes ... "just works", and all traffic should
> | be able to use all of their connections.
>
> ... except where that is not desired for policy reasons (e.g.,
> don't use the volume-charged connection when the flat-rate
> connection isn't full).
>
> These are *hard problems*, unfortunately, and are still
> in the land of blue-sky research.

Agreed.

In your particular example, one has the additional problem of being
a closed-loop system with state feedback.  Let's add latency,
CoS, and packet length.  It gets messy quickly.

Large, public interconnects could help address portability... but
those have problems of their own.  Note recent concerns about all
eggs in one basket.

Is IPv8 ready yet? ;-)

> Meanwhile, the problem is that the demand to do fancy routing
> things outstrips the Internet's current collective ability
> to supply it.  As a result, we have to say "no" (or more $ than
> you can afford) to alot of things that seem worthwhile.   One of

Yes.  Put bluntly, technology is not serving its users.  It's the
oil-burning '73 Nova that won't die: far from ideal, but it
still runs, so we may as well use it instead of buying a new
car...

> those things is "low-value prefixes", independent of who announces
> them to the world.
>
> | I think that the demand is there -- current products just don't allow it.
>
> That's the crux of the problem, independent of whose "fault" it
> is that current products are not up to the task.

I'd also argue that RIR policies need a little new life breathed
into them.  IMHO, we're asymptotically approaching pre-CIDR days.

> 	Sean.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence