Exodus "locking down" customer gear due to bankruptcy?

mike at biggorilla.com mike at biggorilla.com
Wed Oct 3 15:05:31 UTC 2001

* JC Dill (nanog at vo.cnchost.com) [10/03/01 00:27]:
> How odd.  In Chicago, I had boxes that had been shipped and held in their
> shipping and receiving which I was forced to take into the lobby for the
> purpose of unpacking and putting the equipment on carts before I was
> allowed to take them into the colo and install in our cabinets.  The
> reverse procedure was used to pack up the boxes I was shipping home, I had
> to take the equipment out of the colo to the lobby and THEN pack it up, IN
> THE LOBBY.  Needless to say, I found this policy a royal pain in the
> youknowwhat.  They claim this is a company-wide policy, but if it is it
> hasn't been enforced in Seattle (SE2) or in DC (DC2).  I have yet to test
> how they enforce it in Santa Clara (SC4).

The Chicago IDC had always claimed this was their policy (no cardboard was
allowed into the datacenter because it supposedly can sometimes set off
their moisture alarms), however, I didn't see it enforced in practice
until within the last year (as was evidenced by the fact that we had
stacks of boxes in our cage most of the time a couple years ago).  But in
general, the Chicago IDC hasn't been consistent within it's own walls, not
to mention with how the other IDC's operate.

--
Mike Jones
mike at biggorilla.com