sub-basement multihoming (Re: Verio Peering Question)

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed Oct 3 14:04:25 UTC 2001

> Date: Wed,  3 Oct 2001 05:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sean M. Doran <smd at clock.org>

[ snip anecdote about demand for home multihoming ]

> Is this a trend, or do I simply collect friends who are

I've noticed it, too... in some ways demand is even greater than
among small ISPs who have an inkling about how BGP works.

The "BGP uninformed" ask, "Why can't traffic just choose one of
two paths?"  To them, it's all "The Internet"... routing is black
magic behind the scenes that "just works", and all traffic should
be able to use all of their connections.

> completely unreflective of reality?   Is my estimation that for
> at least some broadband providers, per-household/per-customer
> BGP is a operational expense rather than one requring the

There are parties who are taking this into consideration.

> capital purchase of new equipment, completely out-to-lunch (in
> advance of an interesting new product launch in the next few
> days)?

Re the "high cost" of multihoming... perhaps now.  Most "smaller
places" can't afford to multihome given the current cost of two
T1s (hard to get BGP over broadband) and a Cisco that holds 128M
(even "smaller places" seem to concerned about brand recognition,
and are often reluctant to run Zebra).

However, I've encountered [consulting] customers with multiple
_dialup_ connections who want to know if they can just balance
traffic across both.  I think that the demand is there -- current
products just don't allow it.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence