The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Mon Oct 1 19:29:43 UTC 2001

The original 7000s (with SP if anyone remebers that beast) were slower
even that AGS/+ ...

7000s are probably the worst-designed piece of hardware from Cisco.  The
only benefit of replacing AGS/+ es at the time 7000 was introduced was
that some smarthead designed AGS/+ w/o enough address leads, so they
topped at 16Mb of RAM.

--vadim

PS   Longevity-speaking - it is not technology which really matters, it is
     architecture.  You can buy a box now which you can still be using 10
     years later, given the exponential traffic growth.  Won't cost you
     arm and leg, too.