The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Daniel Golding dgolding at sockeye.com
Mon Oct 1 16:50:30 UTC 2001

There is also a point that many folks may be missing. The 7200 and 7500
routers, while ubiquitious, are not new models. These are 5 year-old
devices, which have been progressively retrofitted with new CPUs, and are
based on even older technology.

There have been assertions made that telco equipment is expected to last for
20 years - this is true. However, we are at a much later stage in the
maturity of voice phone switches. It will take a few more (albeit costly)
cycles of equipment replacement for routers to last anywhere near that long.
However, for computing equipment, the 7xxx class of routers has aged quite
well. How many of us are running with 5 year-old PCs on our desks? Now,
contrast this to how many of us have 7200s or 7500s in our networks...

- Dan