MPLS in metro access networks

Daniel Golding dgolding at sockeye.com
Thu Nov 29 20:02:36 UTC 2001

Dave,

Are you suggesting that MPLS is truly a faster switching paradigm
across a large network? There is basically no meaurable latency
difference in MPLS networks, unless you have avoided congestion by
using TE.

As far as reliability - your milage may vary. MPLS-TE, which you
mention, is certainly one of the various vendors' more stable MPLS
features. However, just in the past 6 months, major vendors have
shipped several versions of code, (including in the "stable" code
trains), with major MPLS issues - many of which are of the "drop
packets on the floor, because we don't know what to do with them"
variety.

I don't think anyone is slamming MPLS or it's implementations
just because their might be a bug in "a vendor's latest GA release
of code". MPLS is a complexity added onto already complex code.

However, the proponents of MPLS based networks stress things like
it's reliability, speed and simplicity, over existing, pure IP
network designs. My point, is that it is certain not faster, not any
simpler, and, for many, has been considerably less reliable. I
reiterate that the point of implimenting MPLS is to be able to
provide the services it enables (of which, TE is a great example,
along with VPNs).

Of course, different levels of perceived reliability may be due to
different depths of MPLS implimentation. A design consistint of fully
meshed, explicit TE tunnels would probably be pretty reliable, by
this point. A network with many L2VPNs and RFC2547 VPNs running over
LSPs instantiated by LDP, might be less so, depending on the
platform.

- - Daniel Golding