how many roots must DNS have before it's considered broken (Re: ISP network design of non-authoritative caches)

Simon Higgs simon at higgs.com
Tue Nov 27 09:43:27 UTC 2001

At 01:09 AM 11/22/01 -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
>I found an archive of NAMEDROPPERS going back to 1983.  If you are
>interested in the subject, or just want to know how we got here, its
>an interesting read.
>
>Anonymous FTP at ftp://ops.ietf.org/lists/ in  1983, 1984, etc.
>
>If you don't know the past, you are doomed to repeat it.  Even though
>I disagree with some of them, I understand some of the decisions a
>bit better.

There are also some specific mailing lists such as newdom, where Draft
Postel was hashed out. Due to various circumstances, the list moved a
couple of times. There is an archive here (zip, gz, & mbx format):

http://www.iahc.org/mail-lists.html

Also there's the iahc-discuss mailing list, which unfortunately has been
censored (between Jan 28, 1997 and May 14, 1997) because of the highly
negative response to the IAHC's final report - i.e. the formation of eDNS
on the IAHC mailing list:

http://www.gtld-mou.org/gtld-discuss/mail-archive/

One of these days I'll get the shared-tld list archive online.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
(A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?