Followup British Telecom outage reason

Brett Frankenberger rbf at rbfnet.com
Mon Nov 26 16:20:55 UTC 2001

> I'm referring to the _vendor's_ support costs - as in, you don't need as
> many people in the TAC if people don't keep running into IOS bugs; you
> don't need as large of a RMA pool if the hardware is more reliable, etc.

What percentage of TAC personnel's time is spent dealing with calls
that ultimately result in a BugID?  NANOG isn't representative; mostly,
TAC exists to take calls from idiots who bought a box that they don't
know how to configure.  Large network operators have a staff of people
to handle that, so when they call TAC, the box is probably broken.  I
don't think that's the case with the majority of TAC cases, though.

     -- Brett