BT monopoly causes widespread network failure

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Nov 21 23:19:56 UTC 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Alex Bligh wrote:
> --On Wednesday, November 21, 2001 9:23 AM -0800 "Sean M. Doran"
> <smd at clock.org> wrote:
>
> > No, you mean: the joy of a rapacious monopoly with a spineless regulator.
>
> Oh Sean's rants are always soooooo much better than mine...

Yes.  But I'm more interested in how a provider manages to wipe
out their entire national network.  That takes talent.

I'm sure BT has some clever network engineers, and they could have
done it to themselves.  On the other hand, BT uses the exact same
equipment as US providers and other providers around the world.
Is there some latent defect in the vendor gear we all use?