ICANN off the map

Joe Provo joe.provo at rcn.com
Mon Nov 19 16:30:36 UTC 2001

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 08:15:39PM -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
[snip]
> > ICANN has nothing to do with routing, the world wide web, or lots
> > of other things on the Internet.
>
> No but the fact that sh ip bgp 192.0.0.0 results in "Network not in table"
> from every publicly available route server I've checked has everything to
> do with routing thus it would seem that this is somewhat operationally on
> topic.
>
> This isn't about ICANN per se, but rather about a good chunk of address space
> being unreachable for some unknown reason that has very little to do with
> "normal maintenance."

% whois -h whois.arin.net NET-ICANN
ICANN
c/o Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (NET-ICANN)
   4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
   Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6695
   US

   Netname: ICANN
   Netblock: 192.0.32.0 - 192.0.47.255
[snip]

% host www.icann.org
www.icann.org has address 192.0.34.65

192.0.0.0/24 !=  192.0.32.0/20

Sorry to throw cold water of facts onto politics, but if they were
publishing bad DNS info, they stopped.

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375