ISP network design of non-authoritative caches

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Nov 17 20:20:50 UTC 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> > dnsops is for operators of authoritative name servers.
>
> dnsop (note singular) is for non-protocol, but still technical, aspects
> of the dns.  i am not aware of an ietf wg which limits parcipitation by
> occupation.  if you want cliques, go to icann :-).

Thanks for the correction.  I read the DNSOP charter and parts of the
mailing list archive, and had the misconception the work was focused
on authoritative name servers.

> > Is there a white paper, best common practice, or book which shows
> > the naive ISP (whether they have 10 or 10 million subscribers) how
> > to architect their DNS system?
>
> not of which i am aware.  wanna help write a dnsop i-d?

Yes.  I didn't want to duplicate work.  If it doesn't exist, I
can put together at least a few obvious good practices any operator
should consider.