DNS Host Handles/Registrations

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Nov 7 20:41:20 UTC 2001

At 12:18 PM -0800 11/7/01, Adam McKenna wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 02:17:02PM -0600, measl at mfn.org wrote:
>>  This link is what I was looking for.   Thanks!  I find it interesting that
>>  NSOL is the only one who has responsibility for this???  Shouldn't *all*
>>  registrars have this ability?
>
>They do.
>
>Don't change your info at NSOL if NSOL is not your registrar.

To explain it a little better, I think:

If you want to create "NS1.SOMEDOMAIN.COM", go to the registrar
handling SOMEDOMAIN.COM and use their procedure.

If you want to create "NS2.SOMEWHEREELSE.COM", and they're using some
other registrar, you use THAT registrar instead.

If SOMEWHEREELSE.COM is registered at $REGISTRAR_ONE, and
SOMEPLACE.COM is registered at $REGISTRAR_TWO, and you want to use
NS{1,2}.SOMEWHEREELSE.COM as NS servers for SOMEPLACE.COM, then you
need to create the hosts with $REGISTRAR_ONE, and then update the
domain record at $REGISTRAR_TWO.

More complex examples exist, but not aren't often encountered. :)

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |