OT - On 9-11 Search Engine Activity - from First Monday

Frank Coluccio fcoluccio at dticonsulting.com
Wed Nov 7 08:06:22 UTC 2001

>From the closing paragraphs of:

http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue6_10/wiggins/index.html

"The effects of September 11th on the Leading Search Engine"

"As we have seen, the Internet played an important role in the dissemination of
urgently-sought news about the unfolding events. Some aspects of the design of
the Internet make it very effective in crisis. An important example is the
inherent ability of TCP/IP to re-route and deliver data when important
communications links are broken, as in war, or as in the September 11 tragedy.
This robustness is not surprising, given that TCP/IP was born out of DoD-funded
research."

Are these principles being eroded as we type? In any event,

Kudos to all of you NANOGers, for all of the work that you do each day.

Frank Coluccio
DTI Consulting